NFL Draft 2023 Scouting Report: WR Josh Downs, North Carolina.
North Carolina's best receiver the last two years. Claimed the Biletnikoff Award for NCAA Best Receiver in each of his seasons and was a member of the ACC All-Star team twice. Both times surpassed the 1,000-yard mark, ranks 4th in program history in total yards per reception for his career.
Height: 178 cm
Weight: 81 kg
40 time: 4.48 seconds
Josh Downs Stats
1,029 yards and 11 touchdowns on receptions.
Josh Downs Scouting Report: Strenghts
- Very good acceleration and excellent straight-line speed
- has been successful in red-zone his entire college career
- very bouncy
- has experience playing special teams; gains a lot of yards after the catch
- owns a large set of routes
- can adjust to awkward throws
- works well with his feet
Josh Downs Scouting Report: Weaknesses
- often tries to fight defenders at line of scrimmage instead of using speed and agility
- prone to drops on long passes
- very poor blocking
- little experience playing against press coverage
Josh Downs Scouting Report: Summary
Very productive and dynamic player whose role in the NFL is highly likely to be limited to the slot receiver position. He works well in routes, is agile, fast, sometimes more like a basketball player with his movements. He plays well with tempo and speed, forcing defenders to make mistakes. Despite his modest size, Downs made 72% of his receptions against opponents in college. As a blocker, he is untenable, and there will be problems against press coverage as well. At North Carolina, the coaching staff structured the game to give him maximum open space. Will coordinators in the NFL do that? It's entirely possible he'll find himself as a gadget player.